Welcome

Sidebar...we say the things that you think but don't say. We are your inner voice in other words. Three spicy bloggers with a passion for fashion, celebrities, and relationships (just don't call us the Spice Girls, or we'll have to slap you). Hope you enjoy! Wait...I know you will enjoy.





The Reading Rainbow


If you're like me, you like to read. And if you're even more like me, you hardly have time to do so, with all the school work, regular work and other life happenings that you have to deal with. Summer time is my time to get caught up on my "leisure" reading. There are so many books out there by so many amazing writers that it's hard to stuff them all into one summer. I love fiction books by African American authors and fiction books about shopping and fashion. If you haven't already, check out your local library. This is an awesome and cheap way to get in your literature fix this summer and for the rest of the year. The public library has pretty much any book you can ever possibly want...for the free free. And if you have an electronic reader, most libraries allow you to "rent" the books with your digital reader. You just download the soft wear on your computer and then "check out" the books on your reader. Its amazing. But if you're old fashioned like me, go a head and check out the books at your local library. Here is a list of books that I have my heart set on reading this summer.

All books by Toni Morrison- I love Toni Morrison and so I plan on getting through all of her books by the end of the summer. Morrison captures almost every aspect of African-American life in her books and brings to light many of the issues that we as a people have and continue to struggle with today. She is amazing. Last summer I read The Bluest Eye and this summer I'm starting with Sula. I've read Song of Solomon and Love in undergrad but I plan on re-reading them. Here is a list of all her novels if you want to check them out.

The Bluest Eye
Sula
Tar Baby
Song of Solomon
Beloved
Jazz
Paradise
Love
A Mercy


The Known World by Edward Jones- this novel creates a vivid depiction of slave-owning blacks before the Civil War.

Miracle at St. Anna by James McBride- This book was made into a movie and I never actually got a chance to see it. But I am extremely interested in the book. The book is set in World WarII and focuses on a group of black soldiers in Tuscany, Italy.

The Sweet Hearts of Soul by Evelyn Lambright- this is a story of 4 women, former members of a 60s R & B group, and their amazing bond.

The Bondwomans Narrative by Hannah Craft- this novel focuses on Hannah, house slave, as she narrates her life experiences.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover- This novel is about a family embroiled in the political turmoil of postcolonial Africa.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Cane Rive by Lalita Tademy- this piece of fiction follows a down-home creole family and explores the intricate relationships between slaves and slave owners, and provocative issues of class and racism within the black community.

Shopaholic series by Sophie Khisella- This series follows Beckey Bloomwood through her antics and love of fashion, You surly will fall in love with this fashion obsessed misfit.

I am going to start with The Known World by Edward Jones and report back to you on my thoughts and feelings. What books do you have on your book list? Please share.-azureDizzle

** UPDATE** I tried reading The Known World by Edward Jones and I almost cut myself. So I quit...Ill try to revisit later. But I'm moving on to Nappily Ever After by Trisha R. Thomas. It is a fiction novel surrounding the fictional character of Venus, who like many of us, is trapped in the world of the beauty salon and the idea of "good" hair. She finally gives it up and cuts off her hair...which sends her boyfriend packing. Check it out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews