Welcome

Sidebar...we say the things that you think but don't say. We are your inner voice in other words. Three spicy bloggers with a passion for fashion, celebrities, and relationships (just don't call us the Spice Girls, or we'll have to slap you). Hope you enjoy! Wait...I know you will enjoy.





Sidebar Salon



"Go on and swear, see if I care...Good or Bad Hair!"


I never go see a movie the weekend that it first comes out because I hate the bombardment of people, the ushers making you squeeze in and sit next to ppl you don't know, etc. So it is in my plans to see Good Hair, Chris Rock's latest documentary (never thought I'd say those two things together!) about black folks and their hair.


Comment if you must, actually I welcome it for sure!


But I have read some reviews where people are saying that he has made a mockery of black women and their hair. I know I won't know until I see the movie, but I have always had the idea that how you feel about your hair has more to do about how you feel about yourself, point blank. So, if you feel like he has made a mockery, maybe that is the way that you feel about it and you are embarrassed about the lengths you go through to make it the way you think that society accepts it.

Now, I know that I am going to be somewhat bias because I have natural hair, but I did used to get relaxers. But when I try to join the likes of people and tell them that it can be done to have natural hair and rock a straight bob or whatev, they give me that, "well, you've got good hair," comment that urks me. Sometimes I'd rather that my hair form a real afro and not the jheri curled up lionel ritchie/michael jackson swag. I think that is good hair. I think anything that is healthy hair is good hair.

I am glad that he came out with a movie to blow the lid off of the secrets of black hair and how many of us pretend that because we stay up on our relaxers we can fool those who don't get them into thinking we have silk straight hair to our butts.

All I ask is that we get real with ourselves, there is nothing wrong with putting work in to look good if it makes you feel good, but don't pretend that it is effortless.

That's where I have a problem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews